- To ensure adequate, qualitative, preventive & curative health care to people of the State.
- To ensure health care services to all particularly to the disadvantaged groups like scheduled tribes, scheduled castes & back ward classes.
- To provide affordable quality healthcare to the people of the State, not only through the allopathic systems of medicine but also through the homeopathic & ayurvedic systems.
- To ensure greater access to primary health care by bringing medical institutions as close to the people as possible or through mobile medical health units, particularly, in the underserved & backward districts.
- To improve health care in the KBK districts of the State
- To eliminate diseases like polio & leprosy from the state & prevent as well as control other communicable diseases
- To reduce maternal, infant & neo-natal mortality rates
- To guarantee to the people of Orissa free treatment( including free medicines) for certain major communicable diseases
- To improve hospital services at the primary, secondary & tertiary levels in terms of infrastructure, drugs & personnel
- To impart training to doctors, nurses & other paramedical staff to upgrade their skills & knowledge to improve quality health care in the state and improve medical education in the State.