Powers and functions of the Director of Health Services, Orissa.
- He is the Executive Head responsible for successful and timely execution of all Health Plan and Policies in the State and accountable to Government for any omission & commission on such execution.
- He is the Budget controlling authority relating to the Budget of Health care Services under the National Plan, State Plan, Central Plan and Centrally sponsored Plan other than the budget of Medical Education and Training, Orissa, Family Welfare, Orissa, S.I.H & F.W, Orissa and Drugs Control Organization of the State.
- He monitors the Budget and finalizes accounts including Audit with the Accountant General, Orissa.
- He acts and discharges duties and functions of Heads of Department under O.G.F.R, Orissa, Services Codes. OPR, Orissa T.A Rules.
- He is the disciplinary authority in respect of the State Cadre Non-Gazetted Staffs and Appellate Authority in respect of District Cadre Posts.
- He acts as Chief Registrar Birth and Death of the State under Birth and Death Registration Act.
- He renders advise to State Government on the matter of Health Care Services in the State and initiatives proposals there fore to Government.
- Supervision and inspection on the field of Health Care Institution and it’s Services are the integral part of his duties and functions.
- Hears public grievances and takes redressal measures including spot redressal measure within the score of his position.
- He acts as Public Authority under R.T.I Act. So far it relates to Health Directorate.
- He accepts inter Directorate liaison for health administration so also represents Government in State and Center on Technical and Genetic matter relating to improvement in Health care services as well as controlling Health Services.
- Exercises control over district health Care administration.
- He is responsible to monitor and management of health care services during natural calamities, epidemic and disaster situation.
- Keeps watch on different Health related project operate in the State including project under N.G.O Sector.
- He is the chairman in Central Drugs procurement agency.
- Any other duties and function as may assigned by Government according to his position in State Health Administration.
Director of Health Services, Orissa being responsible for multifunction health administration as Heads of Department is assisted by 6 (Six) Joint Heads of Department like (1) Joint Director of Health Services (Ophthalmology) (2) Joint Director of Health Services (Planning & Development) (3) Joint Director of Health Services (Medical) (4) Joint Director of Health Services (P.H) (5) Joint Director of Health Services (Malaria & Filaria) (9) Joint Director of Health Services (T.B & Lep). F.A Cum C.A.O and Accounts Officer are there to assist Director of health Services, Orissa in financial management. There below Deputy Director, Medical Store, Establishment Officers, Deputy Director (V.S), Deputy Director (Filaria), Deputy Director (T.B) and other subordinate Officers and Staffs are available to assist Director of Health Services, Orissa to discharge his duties and functions as Heads of Department.