The Directorate of Drugs Control Admn. is functioning in the building of “state drugs testing and research laboratory” situated at Gajapati Nagar, Bhubaneswar, Orissa. Established in the year 1947 under Directorate of Health Services and became an independent Directorate since 1982. Drugs are the greatest weapon of mankind to fight diseases and death and Drugs Control is the only tool to ensure highest quality and purity of drugs. At present the following Acts and Rules regulate the manufacturer, export and clinical Research of Drugs and Cosmetics in India:-
1. Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940.
2. Drugs and Cosmetics Rules, 1945.
3. Pharmacy Act, 1948.
4. Drugs & Magic Remedies (Objectionable Advertisement) Act, 1954.
5. Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances Act, 1985.
6. Medicinal and Toilet Preparation (Excise Duties) Act, 1955.
7. Drugs (Price Control) Order, 1995 (under the Essential Commodities Act).
There are some other laws which have a bearing on manufacturer, distribution and sale of Drugs and Cosmetics in India. The important ones are:-
1. Industries (Development and regulation) Act, 1951
2. Trade and Merchandise Marks Act, 1958
3. Indian Patents and Design Act, 1970.
4. Factories Act, 1948.
The Drugs and Cosmetics Act and Rules are Central Act and our State have no separate State Act/ Rules.