The National Iodine Deficiency Disorders Control Programme (NIDDCP) started in our state since Dec'1989. It is a 100% Central Plan Scheme. Iodine Deficiency Disorders are a group of diseases starting from a visible goitre in the neck to many physical and mental disorder like dwarf. Cretin, squint, abortion, stillbirths and impaired mental functions due to low intake of Iodine in food.
- The aim of the programme is to prevent Iodine Deficiency Disorders like the incidence of Goitre: Physical & Mental disorders cretinism & deaf mutism etc. in the State.
- To conduct the I.D.D Surveillance through Medical Colleges/Research Institutions in endemic districts as per guide line of Govt. of India.
- Assess the magnitude& distribution of I.D.D Prevalence.
- Identify high-risk population.
- Monitoring progress towards achieving long-range goals to create awareness among the people through I.E.C activities regarding use and benefits of lodised Salt.
- Evaluation of Control Programmes.
- Health Education & Publicity
- IEC through observation of Global 100 Prevention Day on 21st October.
- IEC through Electronic media.
- IEC through Sensitisation Seminars
- Public awareness Camp on IDD
- IDD/GOITRE Survey
- IDD/Goitre Survey work to be under taken in remaining un-surveyed 20 districts as per Guideline of Govt. of India in phased manner taking help of 3 Medical Colleges of the State. So, 20 districts have got to be surveyed within a period of 5 years.
- Establishment of IDD Monitoring Laboratory
- As per Govt. of India Guideline - for analysis of Salt Samples and Urine samples, an IDD Monitoring Laboratory.